Nigella’s Pear and Ginger Muffins
• 250g flour
• 2 teasps baking powder
• 150g caster sugar
• 75g light brown sugar, plus ½ teasp per muffin for sprinkling
• 1 teasp ground ginger
• 1 x 142ml pot sour cream
• 125ml vegetable oil
• 1x 15ml tablesp honey
• 2 eggs
• 1 large pear such as a Comice (or other fruit to give you about 300g in weight), peeled, cored and cut into 5mm dice
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6, and line a 12-bun muffin tin with muffin papers.
2. Measure into a bowl the flour baking powder, caster sugar, 75g of brown sugar and the ground ginger.
3. In a large measuring jug, whisk together the sour cream, oil, honey and eggs and then fold into the dry ingredients.
4. Lastly, mix in the diced pear, and divide the batter evenly between the muffin cases.
5. Sprinkle each one with ½ teaspoon of brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack. Best eaten still a little warm.
From: Nigella Lawson, Nigella Express (2007)